Classics > Admissions > Student Visitors

Student Visitors

The Classics Faculty offers a number of opportunities for graduate students registered at other Universities to come to Oxford for a period of study. Depending on your requirements, you could come to Oxford as a visiting student, a recognised student or an academic visitor

Recognised students

Recognised student status is most appropriate if you are completing a doctorate (PhD) at another University or are an early-career academic researcher and wish to come to Oxford for 1, 2 or 3 terms of study under the guidance of an academic advisor. Recognised students are admitted by the Faculty and do not have a college affiliation.

As a recognised student you will have regular meetings with your academic advisor and will be entitled to attend lectures and seminars. You will also be able to access the University libraries, computing facilities and other services available to graduate students. Further information about recognised student status and details of the application process may be found in our Guide for Recognised Students.

Visiting students

Visiting students are admitted to Oxford as either “registered visiting students” or “matriculated non-award students”. The two categories both include affiliation to an Oxford college and offer a similar range of benefits; the college which admits you will be able to advise which of the two is most appropriate to you.

These categories are most appropriate to students enrolled on taught Master’s degrees at other Universities who wish to come to Oxford for 1, 2 or 3 terms of study. Graduate visiting students do not follow a structured programme of tuition, but conduct research under the guidance of a supervisor, with whom they have regular meetings.

For further information, please see the Visiting Students page of the University website.

Academic visitors

Academic visitor status will be most appropriate if you are coming to Oxford for a short period (under one month) or if you wish to undertake independent study without supervision.

Academic visitors are entitled to use of the University libraries and computing facilities in addition to various other benefits. Academic visitors do not have a college affiliation and are not entitled to attend lectures or to receive any form of tuition or supervision. Further information about academic visitor status and details of the application process may be found in our Guide for Academic Visitors.

Please note that academic visitors from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are not eligible to obtain a Tier 4 student visa. When planning your visit, it is therefore essential that you check which type(s) of visa you qualify for and what restrictions apply.