APPLICATIONS FOR OxLAT 2017-2019 NOW OPEN!
Faculty of Classics is delighted to be able to open applications for the 2017-2019 OxLAT Latin Teaching Scheme.
The OxLAT Scheme is for enthusiastic and committed
students in Year 9 (who will be going into Year 10 in September 2017) who are interested
in studying for a GCSE in Latin but attend state schools where there is
no Latin provision.
The Scheme offers eligible students free tuition
in Latin language and literature ab initio through to GCSE examination.
lessons take place every Saturday morning during school term-time here at the
Faculty (66 St Giles, Oxford) and are taught by two professional Latin
the Faculty of Classics: they will start in June 2017 and continue for
two years until the summer of 2019 when students will sit their Latin GCSE
programme of the scheme replicates the teaching students would
experience were they taking the subject as a GCSE option at school (albeit in a
reduced timetable and with greater focus on independent learning): students
will be expected to consolidate their classroom learning with appropriate
study-time at home each week, aided by the Scheme’s own VLE system. Homework
will be roughly the same as one would expect for any KS3 and then GCSE subject.
As this is an
intensive course and interested students should discuss their potential
participation with a parent/guardian to ensure that they appreciate the level
of participation and work-load expected of them and are prepared to commit to study this
subject intensively over the course of two years.
- The development of high-level, transferable linguistic
skills, and a sense of real achievement through the study of this engaging and
- Access to the enticing world of Latin literature and the opportunity to read ancient poetry and literature in the
- High-quality teaching in an exciting and stimulating
WHERE: Faculty of Classics, University of
Centre for Classical and Byzantine Studies, 66,
St. Giles', Oxford, OX1
July 2017 – May 2019 (Lessons will take place every Saturday (10:30-13:00) during
Oxfordshire schools’ term-dates).
2 years of intensive language and literature study in small groups. Students
will be entered to sit a Latin GCSE at their school in May 2019.
None. The Scheme is offered for free as part of the Faculty of Classics Outreach
ELIGIBILITY: Only current Year 9 students at state schools that do not currently have any Latin
provision (which includes lunch-time/adter-school Latin clubs) are be eligible. There is no
strict catchment area for this scheme: if you can get to us for 10.30 on a Saturday morning (and meet the other eligibility requirement above), you are eligible for the scheme, although preference will be given to students at state schools in Oxfordshire.
This is a competitve application process. We have 30 places on the Scheme and typcially received over 100 applications for each cohort. We consider a variety of factors judiciosuly as part of a holistic assessment process.
APPLICATION: Application for the Scheme is in three parts:
1) The student section of the application form (to be completed and sent in hardcopy)
2) The parent/guardian section of the application form (to be completed online)
3) a teacher/school form (to be completed online)
only be considered for the scheme if their application is endorsed by their
school, and includes a supporting statement from a teacher (preferably their English or MFL teacher) acting as a referee AND also accompanied by a completed Parent/Guardian Consent form. Further details are below.
1) Students should complete the Student Application Form (available via download below) in its entirety (partially completed forms will be rejected) and send it to:
OxLAT ApplicationsFAO: The Outreach OfficerFaculty of ClassicsIoannou Centre for Classical & Byzantine Studies
66 St Giles' OxfordOX1 3LU
DOWNLOAD FORM (PDF): STUDENT APPLICATION FORM
2) Students should also ask a parent/guardian to complete the parent/guardian section of the application form, via the online form available below. It is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that their parent/gaurdian has submitted the parent/guardian online form. Missing incomplete applications will not be chased-up and will not be considered.
LINK to ONLINE FORM: PARENT/CARER SECTION OF APPLICATION FORM
3) Students should ask a teacher (preferably their MFL teacher, English teacher, Form teacher or Head of Year) to complete the online form below. Again, it is the responsibility of each applicant to ensure that their teacher has submitted a supporting statement using the online form. Missing referees/incomplete applications will not be chased-up and will not be considered.
LINK to ONLINE FORM: TEACHER'S REFERENCE/SUPPORTING STATEMENT
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday 28th April 2017
The selection process will start at the end of April and lessons will
begin in June 2017.